Utrecht Holdings is the Knowledge Transfer Office (KTO) of Utrecht University and University Medical Center Utrecht. We are focused on the utilisation and commercialisation of academic research. We support scientists in creating, building and investing in innovations with a particular expertise in biotech, medtech, education and ICT.
At Utrecht Holdings our activities include:
- Screening & scouting of promising research
- Advising on knowledge utilisation, grants and consortium building
- Early-stage market, business and legal advice
- Intellectual property protection and licensing
- Controlling UU en UMCU patent applications and patents
- Leading the formation of new companies, including legal and financial structuring
- Providing investment capability
- Life science incubator and housing facilities
Since 1996, we have assisted Utrecht University and the University Medical Center in attracting significant amounts of research money, filed over 150 patents, closed many license agreements, established over 40 spin-off companies and invested over € 15 million in these new ventures. Utrecht Holdings has paid nearly € 30 million in dividends to Utrecht University and the University Medical Center. The current spin-off portfolio is estimated to have a value of around € 55 million.