Policies & Models
Both the Utrecht University and UMC Utrecht Boards have adopted various policies and regulations regarding valorization, and intellectual property, patent applications, collaborations with industry, the starting of companies and ancillary activities. Policies and regulations are managed by the Legal Affairs units of both institutes, who can provide the most recent versions.
Patents are the most tangible form of intellectual property rights. Knowledge institutes such as universities and medical centres are the rightful owners of the patentable findings of their employees, according to the Dutch Patent Act (Rijksoctrooiwet 1995). The cao (Collective Bargaining Agreements) of both Utrecht University (CAO-VSNU) and University Medical Center Utrecht (CAO-NFU) adhere to this law. UU and UMC Utrecht have dedicated holding companies (Universiteit Utrecht Holding B.V. and UMC Utrecht Holding B.V.) that maintain and commercialize their patent portfolios. This means that Utrecht Holdings are responsible for the intake of inventions, the assessment of patentability, the filing of patent applications and the commercialization of these inventions for each institute. We are here to help you with all this.
If you think you have a patentable invention, please contact us and/or fill in an Invention Disclosure Form and send it to Utrecht Holdings. We will assist you further with the process.
The boards of Utrecht University and University Medical Center want to stimulate the commercial exploitation of scientific results such as patentable findings and creative works. That is why they have adopted a financial remuneration scheme for the scientists in person (Regeling billijke vergoeding), in the event of the successful commercialization of a patentble invention or a copyrighted work. Links to these and other policies can be found at the bottom of this page.
Collaboration between scientists and external partners, such as companies and non-profit organizations, occur frequently. Therefor Utrecht University and UMC Utrecht boards have implemented various policies regarding these collaborations. Several model agreements are available e.g. collaboration agreements, contract research agreements, material transfer agreements and non-disclosure agreements. These model agreements are available from the Research Support Offices for those scientists that work at Utrecht University. They can also assist you in negotiations, etc. UMC Utrecht scientists can get the model agreements through SCOOP. Models for a material transfer agreement and/or a confidentiality agreement are available below.
Overview of policies and regulations of Universiteit Utrecht
Always contact the Dean of your Faculty before you start valorization of your research. The policies and regulations below can differ from the ones that apply to your faculty. Make sure you both work with the same regulations.
- Ancillary Activities Scheme (regeling nevenwerkzaamheden) [English / Dutch]
- UU points of departure on cooperation involving indirect funding and contract funding (Uitgangspunten UU inzake samenwerkingen) uitgangspunten
- Division of Costs and Proceeds IPR (regeling kosten en inkomstenverdeling) English Dutch, please contact Research Support Office
- Equitable Remuneration Scheme for Intellectual Property Rights (Regeling billijke vergoeding) Regeling billijke vergoeding
- Model Agreements Research Support Office Note: Check who in your division is authorized to sign model agreements and other legal documents that you find here. Only models and agreements that are signed by authorized people can be processed.
- Material Transfer Agreement Research Support Office
- Non Disclosure Agreement: one way/Providing information or reciprocal Research Support Office
- Routing Agreements (routing van overeenkomsten) Research Support Office
- Nederlandse Gedragscode Wetenschapsbeoefening Gedragscode wetenschapsbeoefening
- Policy principles in entrepreneurship in Dutch Beleidsuitgangspunten bij ondernemerschap UU-medewerkers
Overview of policies and regulations of UMC Utrecht
Always contact the head of your division before you start valorization of your research. The policies and regulations below can differ from the ones that apply to your division. Make sure you both work with the same regulations.
- Ancillary Activities (Regeling nevenwerkzaamheden)
- Division of Costs and Proceeds IPR (regeling kosten en inkomstenverdeling) Regeling interne kostenverdeling UMCU – versie 07 (Dutch);
- Equitable Remuneration Arrangement for Intellectual Property Rights (billijke vergoeding) Regeling billijke vergoeding UMCU – versie 07 (Dutch);
- Model Agreements such as Material Transfer Agreements, are available through SCOOP, search for ‘Modelcontracten’. [Modelcontracten UMC Utrecht] Note: Check who in your division is authorized to sign model agreements and other legal documents that you find here. Only models and agreements that are signed by authorized people can be processed.
- Non Disclosure Agreement [URL]
- Scientific integrity code (wetenschappelijke integriteit) [URL]